Lunchtime Fishing in Pittsburgh

The Allegheny River finally cleared up enough to get some lunch time fishing in today. We've had a lot of rain in Pittsburgh recently and the rivers were running high and colored a very chocolate, muddy brown. When the conditions are not too good I tend to hold off on the fishing and wait for improved visibility or at least until I can see my lures in the water.  Today I decided to take a shot and walk down during my lunch break and the river was in a giving mood today with two smallmouth bass and one rock bass.

The Background: Pittsburgh Lunchtime Fishing

Here is a little background on my lunchtime fishing sessions in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm lucky enough to  work in an office that is located on River Ave, which is right on the Allegheny River on the North Shore of Pittsburgh.  It takes me about a minute to get down to the water - and being a fisherman - is there a better way to spend a lunch hour?  I've been fishing Pittsburgh's North Shore during my lunch hour for over 7 years now and I have had quite a good time and a bit of luck.

Sometimes I don't always get a bite or land a fish but the river does give back in many ways.  On a few occasions I've found some great Pittsburgh seashells and today I discovered some really colorful river glass and I think a piece of Pittsburgh slag glass.  On other days I get lucky and find a lure or two that got stuck in a tree.  It's always a treasure hunt on the Allegheny river - just look down.

I hope you enjoy the lunchtime fishing posts as much as I do!

The Catch






 The Details

Lunchtime fishing on Pittsburgh's North Shore - Friday, May 17, 2019 from 1:00pm - 2:00pm est. It was about 70 degrees outside, cloudy and the water was a tea color but the lure was visible.  I fished form the shore and the two Smallmouth were caught near shore on top of a flat of rocks.  The Rock Bass was caught in a drop off that was a bit deeper.

The Location



 The Fishing Tackle

Grey and white minnow Panther Martin spinner with red Power bait honey worms






Until next time...

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." -- John Buchan

Comments